Black Bean Dip
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 tablespoon seeded and minced jalapeño pepper (optional)
- 1 can (15.5 ounce) black beans, preferably low-sodium, drained and rinsed; or use dried black beans that have been cooked.
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon water
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and jalapeño and cook for 1 minute.
- Place the beans in a food processor. Add the onion mixture and the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.