Stuffed Eggplant (Vegan)
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 onion diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 plum tomatoes chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of (300 g) cooked lentils
- 7 oz of store-bought vegan cheese (optional)
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1/3 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Fresh parsley to garnish
- Red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 410 degrees Fahrenheit (210 degrees Celsius) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the eggplants in half (lengthwise) and scoop out about 2/3 of the flesh leaving a 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick border around the skin.
- Process the scooped out eggplant flesh in a food processor and set aside.
- Place eggplant "boats" on a baking sheet, sprinkle with sea salt and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic, eggplant flesh, all spices, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, tomato paste and vegetable broth. Put a lid on the skillet and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cooked lentils and cook for a few more minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add more salt/pepper/spices to taste.
- Once the eggplants have been in the oven for 20 minutes, reduce the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius) and stuff each half with the lentil eggplant mixture.
- Top with the store-bought vegan cheese (if using it) and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh herbs parsley and enjoy!